Friday, October 27, 2023

I'll be his only patient who can pronounce his name!

 

The staff at the Moruya Medical Centre
Pin the tail on the donkey: who is the German doctor?

 

I've just spoken with the receptionist at the Moruya Medical Centre to find out if I could become a patient of Dr Jorg Ziergiebel, MD, FRACGP, FRCS A&E (Ed), MRCP (Lond.), MRCGP (UK), DFFP (UK), JCCA accredited GP Anaesthetist. When she asked why I wanted to change from my current Pakistani doctor to a German one, I said because I'd be his only patient who can pronounce his name.

According to his webpage, Dr Ziergiebel [Ziergiebel means 'ornamental gable' but, of course, you knew that already] worked as a nurse and as a Medical Officer in the German Defence Force prior to his graduation in Medicine from Rostock University, Germany, in 1994. His post-graduate training, mainly in the United Kingdom, involved several specialities, including Accident & Emergency Medicine & Surgery, General Medicine, Anaesthetics, General Practice, Intensive Care Medicine, Orthopaedics, Neurology & Urology. Since his move to Australia in 2003 he has been working as a General Practitioner in Moruya. He is a Visiting Medical Officer at Moruya & Batemans Bay hospitals, providing inpatient/anaesthetic and accident & emergency care. He also provides Anaesthetic services at the private Mogo Day Surgery. He holds an appointment with the ANU Rural Clinical School as a senior lecturer and academic coordinator for the Eurobodalla and is supervisor for GP registrar training. Being involved in the training of medical students & young doctors is a particular passion of his. He is happily married, proud father of 2 lovely children & enjoys being with his family & animals & loves the outdoors, flowers & music. Favourite animal: big cats, favourite flower: iris & favourite colour: orange.

There isn't much wrong with me - other than what Padma finds wrong, that is! - and I only see my current Pakistani doctor once every six months to get a new script for my cholesterol-lowering pills after which we discuss the situation in the Middle East and our time in Saudi Arabia where I worked for three years and he grew up when his father worked there.

I may as well get my next prescription from Dr Ziergiebel and then talk about how my family fled to the West during the Berlin Blockade while he could just walk across from Rostock after the German Reunification. We may even have time to discuss the movie "Das Leben der Anderen".