Wednesday, October 11, 2023

A penny saved is a penny earned

 

 

With a potential buyer waiting in the wings, I thought it best to have the property re-surveyed to eliminate any possible "fence creep". As I am surrounded by the Clyde River on two sides and the end of Sproxton Lane at the top, the only boundary to be surveyed was the eastern side (outlined in red).

After I had bought "Riverbend" almost thirty years ago in December 1993, I had the boundaries surveyed in August 1995 by the local surveyors Conway Burrow & Hancock for what was then the princely sum of $750. The same local surveyors had since been bought out by Rygate & West but still had the old survey on their files, and yet they quoted me $4,268.52.

 


I wonder what accounts for the 47 cents?

 

Since they are the only surveyors in the area, it seemed like I was stuck with them, but then I searched the Yellow Pages for an alternative surveyor farther away but still near enough to be willing to make the trip to Nelligen. Phillip Brown, registered surveyor, was willing to drive the seventy kilometres from Milton to Nelligen. He and his partner Nathan spent close on a day to re-survey and re-peg the boundary, all for $1,600.00. Twice as good at half the price!

 

 

A penny saved is a penny earned!