Wednesday, October 16, 2024

I never come back empty-handed

 

 

Early morning at "Riverbend". I'm busy cooking my porridge while keeping an eye on a lone navigation light shining through the early-morning mist across from the river. Another sailor having spent a peaceful night on the river. Not everyone goes fishing to catch a fish; some just want to catch a few hours of solitude. I know how they feel.

After yesterday's outing to Ulladulla I'm ready to spend the rest of the week in glorious solitude to read the books and watch the movies I found at my favourite op-shop. I watched "Into the White" many years ago but, based on true events in German-occupied Norway during World War II, it's worth another viewing. And then there is the book "Modern-Day Castaway" for those moments when I wished I was still young and energetic, and Julian Barnes' "The Only Story", a deeply moving novel centred around Lord Tennyson's famous line "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". As far as I'm concerned, Tennyson got it all wrong!

And then there is Dominic Dunne's Adventures of a Compulsive Traveller" and "The Ulysses Contract - How to Never Worry About the Share Market Again" - I did a long time ago but it's nice to have it confirmed - and, finally, my favourite, a beautiful hardback edition of John Humphrys' erudite "Beyond Words - How Language Reveals the Way We Live Now", which is an endearing treaty against poor grammar, inappropriate use of the apostrophe and poor use and understanding of the English language and how 'management speak' and insipid and inappropriate use of words, especially in politics, advertising, and public relations, ruins and devalues the language. As you can see, I never come back empty-handed.

 

 

The mist is gone but not the boat whose owner seems to be readying himself for breakfast as am I, after which I shall be all set for another peaceful day among the gumtrees. I wonder how the rich people live!

 


 

P.S. Of course, while in Ulladulla we indulged ourselves with a sumptious meal at the bowling club, followed by some coffee and cake at the Tree House Café - well, more cake, as I already had a big slice of the club's famous blueberry cheesecake. The Treehouse Café is now under new management but it's still the best business model around - click here.

P.P.S. I don't fish. I've read "Do Fish Feel Pain?" and feel sorry for them.