Thursday, August 22, 2024

The Summing Up

 

Start reading here

 

George Orwell called W. Somerset Maugham "the modern writer who has influenced me the most". "The Summing Up" (1938) is Maugham's introspective attempt at bringing together his thoughts on subjects that had primarily interested him through the course of his life - ideas on literature, art, religion, ethics, and philosophy - in a conclusive, coherent manner.

I read this book every few years, and I enjoy it more each time. In his early sixties and not knowing how much longer he might live, W. Somerset Maugham decided to set down in "The Summing Up" not so much an autobiography as his observations about life. He then went on to live another thirty years (born in 1874, he died in 1965 at the age of 91).

 

 

Today's literary treat - for me as well as for you, if you care to join me - is to listen to part of this audiobook while at the same time reading along.

 

Chapter 6 starts here

 

 

Chapter 13 starts here

 

The audiobook stops at "never having felt some oi the fundamental emotions of normal men, it is impossible that my work should have the intimacy, the broad human touch and the animal serenity which the greatest writers alone can give."


Now turn the page and keep on reading. Perhaps you are too busy right now; perhaps you have an important court case ahead of you, in which case turn to page 38 just before the beginning of chapter 17: "When I have heard judges on the bench moralizing with unction I have asked myself whether it was possible for them to have forgeotten their humanity so completely as their words suggested. I have wished that beside his bunch of flowers at the Old Bailey, his lordship had a packet of toilet paper. It would remind him that he was a man like any other."

As you can see, there's something for everyone in this wonderful book.