Sunday, August 25, 2024

Heart of Darkness

 

 

Padma gave me a thermos full of lemongrass & ginger tea and a playlunch - well, a packet of chocolate-coated diet biscuits, to be precise - and I took my memories and a memory stick to spend a peaceful day down by the river in far-away "Melbourne".

I suffer from what Immanuel Kant - always spoken of with his first name to avoid any ambiguity - called 'unsociable sociability' (ungesellige Geselligkeit) and I need my regular dose of solitude like others need their food and drink. Spending time away in far-away "Melbourne" in silent monologue with myself and my thoughts feeds my 'unsociable sociability', and I will spend more time there more often as the weather warms up.

What memories my solitude will throw up is always unpredictable but the memory stick I took along held a 90-minute BBC Radio dramatisation of "Heart of Darkness" - click here - which I had heard several times before.

It made the perfect background sound as I reclined on the daybed and, watching the thousands of flecks of dust dancing in the shafts of sunlight coming through the window, I drifted off to a long and satisfying nap.

May there be many, many, many more sunkissed days like this!

 

Sitting outside "Melbourne" at the end of the day and reflecting
on "The horror! The horror!" of old age and gum boots and all that.