Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A bit of Australiana to keep me anchored in the here and now

 

What is the 'now'? Even the simplest and shortest word fails to capture the essence of 'now' for the word itself, when thought or uttered, is nothing but part of the unceasing, evanescent flow from the present to the past. "What then is time?", St Augustine asked. "Provided that no one asks me, I know. If I want to explain it to an inquirer, I do not know."

Watching A Waltz through the Hills takes me back to the past, to the kind of Australia that made more sense than the now, and I enjoyed watching it, just as I enjoyed watching The Earthling which, perhaps indicating its status as a 'sort of' Public Domain film, is available on YouTube in ten parts, though it might at any point be taken down. Part 1 begins here, and part 10 is here (select the other parts direct from the YouTube page), though it chopped off Maureen McGovern's final over credits song in mid-flight. Well it's free, but it's sad to see even a bad movie end this way.

And here's another Australian classic. Watch it while it's still on Youtube: